Tuesday 25 June 2013

Deborah Keats aka *dkshopgirl*


I would like to introduce, Deborah, who is a Facebook Friend of mine, we have been chatting for a while now!.....she always posts bright and cheerful photos and I Love her work :)

 

Tell us about your home and where you live

Our home is a cattle property in North West Queensland, Australia .  We're pretty remote by town standards but by 'Australian Bush' standards we're not really that far away.  We have to homeschool (which I do with help) and I also maintain a garden in which I'm always trying to grow exotic plants that aren't really suited to the hot climate here.  Just ask me how many hydrangeas I've killed in the last 11 years...  I've really got to stop buying them... O_O



 

  Having said that, I have managed to grow (and expand) my tropical ginger plants, heliconias, bromiliads and even the stunning gloriosa lilly in pink is just so spectacular.  That makes me feel pretty special when they flower each year.  I also have a soft spot for ivy and have found a beautiful succulent one that has showcased in a few of my mosaic pot 'beauty shots' ...    When the work is over in the garden, my usual jobs are cooking, washing and cleaning so my life is probably quite similar to most women but I just don't have a local Starbucks to pop into when I feel like it.

 

Who lives with you?......including pets...

We are a family of 6 ... my very supportive husband Guy, and children Eliza, Oscar, Richard and Lilly.  Another member of our family is 'Disco' our Jack Russell ... sometimes we also have a poddy calf to feed (a poddy is a calf who has lost it's mother either through death, or just becoming separated in a muster)  the odd python (harmless snake) or a pademelon (similar to a kangaroo except smaller) are the additional pets we have around.  Life is never dull ...

 

We also employ a girl who helps me teach, as well as one other married couple who work outside for my husband with the mustering, cattle work and general station duties. 

 

Describe yourself....if you could change one thing what would it be?....

I tend to be a perfectionist and a  control/clean freak, which is a deadly combination when you have 4 kids and they all like to experiment with craft, cooking and their own inventions.  I find myself constantly picking up after eveyone (and I'm sure I'm not the lone ranger here) warning the children the dangers of climbing on the roof to see a 'super moon'  and making sure they always clean the sand off their feet after they've been for a swim in our pool, so it doesn't wind up being like the beach in our house! 

 

It would be nice to know how I could 'chill out' more, but in the meantime, I'll continue to spend time doing my art and Pinterest at night when everyone's in bed and that seems to be working pretty well, thanks very much as a nice way to wind up my day.   Trying to maintain a sense of humor also helps ... some days things seem to go from bad to worse - power goes out ... something breaks ... snake gets in the house ... and almost ALWAYS it's when my husband is away mustering elsewhere... "Character building" is a term I can do without some days.



 

What 5 things would you not leave the house without?....

Since we are 100km from the nearest town ... my car keys ... my mobile phone, bottle of water, stylish handbag (which MUST match what I'm wearing of course ...) and I guess our 4 kids ! 

 

Where would you Love to visit?....

Lately I've been thinking about Tuscany ... one of my favourite movies is 'Under a Tuscan Sun' and so yes, it looks like a nice place to visit...  If I can't get there, then I could also handle a trip to the Bahamas ...

 

I keep telling my husband that when I finish homeschooling our children in 4 years I'll need to have a 'Gap Year' and it will be involving a passport ...

 

 

Have you always been artistic?.....

I think so ... I remember being horrified when my mother couldn't draw a scarecrow for me when I was about 4.  It's such a vivid memory... she drew something like a pretty basic stickman and I remember thinking - are you for real ? that's it ?  the best you can do?   I also remember cutting pretty pictures out of every magazine I could get my hands on and make little journals, then when my sister and I used to wait for mum to pick us up from piano lessons, I used to copy cartoons from a comic book onto the blackboard at the music teacher's house.  Soon after, I developed an obsession drawing the beautiful Disneyland characters from the big comics from the 1970's.  I still have the full collection of those comics today.

 

Tell us about what you Love to make?....

That's a tricky question - there's so many things!  ... Firstly I love to do mosaic anything! but also love to draw and use water colours.  I think when I'm inspired by a piece of fabric, some tiles, or a photograph,  I just drop everything and make as much art as I can in the time I have.

What are your Favourite colours and styles?....

All shades of green seem to sneak into my work as well as pinks, magenta and periwinkles.  Wait !! I also love cobalt blue and aqua - that question is too difficult!  Hmmm, styles ... well, Shabby Chic is like the middle and both ends to me ... but I also love retro and basically anything that's messy and looks handmade creates a 'heart stopping moment' for me :-)


 

 

What would you Like to achieve?.....

I would love to think that one day I'll have my days organized enough (after I finish homeschooling) to do more fine art - drawings, and watercolours.  It would be a dream come true to have an exhibition, but I think I'd be too terrified to go to my own exhibition in case no-one wanted to buy anything, then I'd have to try and get really drunk on soda water (because I don't really drink) and pretend I didn't care!  Maybe by the time I get around to having an exhibition, just 'having it' will be enough and that would be the prize...  I'll send you an invitation when it gets closer....




You can find Deborah here 
http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/dkshopgirl


https://www.facebook.com/dkshopgirl


http://dkshopgirl.blogspot.co.uk


Thanks so much, Deborah, for agreeing to do this, you cheer up my days with your photos and I Love your work, Best Wishes, Jacqueline xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment