Friday 15 February 2013

Handmade Paper - Hearts

Today I made something I have been meaning to try for ages....."natural progression" I call it!....I made my own paper....hearts!....and so far I am delighted with the results :)

I have been reading some blogs and tutorials and looking through Pinterest until I found one that was simple enough for me to try without having to buy anything. I ended up using ideas from several.

First I gathered my equipment:-

  • Pasta Drainer 
  • Hand blender, electric
  • Glass Jug
  • Bowl of shredded paper, mostly white, from shredder
  • 2 small bowls of turquoise and purple tissue paper, hand shredded
  • Small amount of dried lavender
  • Heart shaped Biscuit Cutter
  • Paper Towels
  • Baking Paper
  • Cardboard

I took it all through to the Laundry Room where it would not matter if I made a mess!

 


First I mixed equal amounts of white and coloured paper in two bowls
Next I covered the paper with warm water and left it to soak


 
 

I kept checking and stirring
Then I started to pull it into smaller pieces
After a while I used the electric hand blender to make pulp in each bowl




Now I had to remove some of the water, I did this by tipping the bowl and just using my hand to hold the pulp in the bowl and let the water drain out. I did this over the pasta drainer so I would not lose any pulp. It quickly got to the point where I could gather the pulp up and squeeze water out.

I laid the biscuit cutter on to a piece of baking paper and put the semi dry pulp inside it, then pressed down until it was even. I carefully removed the cutter and placed a piece of card on top of the heart shaped pulp and flipped it over.

I mixed some dried lavender into the purple pulp and repeated using the cutter. I then put them both in the Sunny Conservatory to dry. I shall move them somewhere warm later. The whole process only took a couple of hours and I was thrilled at each step. The end result looks Fab, I just have to wait and see if they dry ok and don't crack!....I shall let you know next week!...



Now that I know the process works I have ordered a paper making kit, an ice cube tray and some books so I can experiment further!....I want to make seed bombs and pellets and of course some sheets of paper. I am looking forward to trying different colours, well shades of blue!....and textures, so watch out for part two.....coming soon!....

Best Wishes and thanks for your interest!.....Jacqueline xxx

Find me here  Facebook
       and here  Folksy












No comments:

Post a Comment